Automating Mobile App testing is not new to the DevOps world. Testers worldwide have been automating some aspects of their QA efforts over time, as a survey conducted showed that 74% of testers spend time building automation scripts for testing. Automating testing is not as straightforward as browser testing and needs meticulous planning beforehand. As QA teams plan testing strategies, the most common question up for thorough deliberation is whether to perform manual or automated testing. And, both are relevant in different ways and project requirements. This blog post will explore the Real advantage of automation testing and why you should choose it over manual testing for specific test cases. But before that, let’s talk about automation testing.
What is Automation Testing?
Automation testing uses software-enabled tools to execute and manage pre-identified test cases on a real or cloud device farm to screen for the crucial points in apps. The automated system addresses and keeps track of the functional performance of applications. If you plan to get started with automation testing, it is recommended to choose test objectives, tools, language, frameworks, and infrastructure carefully before starting.
Top 7 Benefits of Automation Testing
These 7 reasons will show you the true value that Automation Testing can bring to your company:
- Higher Fidelity: Human errors are unavoidable. When testing manually, QA Engineers may sometimes fail to monitor and detect every detail or defect, especially the ones that are obscured within complicated user journeys. Automated testing’s ability to detect every aspect of the app ensures that a higher testing accuracy is achieved. Thus, automation testing offers higher fidelity than Manual testing.
- Increased Efficiency: Every QA team aims for high testing efficiency, which is not always possible with a group of manual testers. When testing manually, there’s a higher chance of a critical bug going undetected that may later become detrimental to the app. Automation offers high efficiency and discovers all kinds of anomalies early on so that customers don’t face challenges while operating the app.
- Shortening of Test Cycles: Functional Testing, Regression testing, Integration Testing, and Performance testing are the types of tests that require a long time to execute. Each of these tests is full of tedious test cases that make testing time-consuming. Automating time consuming tests reduces testing time as the machine can conduct parallel tests rapidly while human testers can focus on building new test cases.
- Active Alerts: Immediate detection and notification lead to instantaneous action. Automation testing actively detects all defects & bugs and prompts an alert to notify the QA team in real-time whenever a critical journey needs troubleshooting. By deploying an automated alerting mechanism, the testing team can spend more time fixing issues instead of finding a bug.
- Higher Availability: Having a team of top-notched QA Engineers who can perform tasks quickly and with high efficiency is ideal. However, the skill set of each tester varies. Moreover, the testing team is available only for so many hours. Meanwhile, a machine is always available, 24×7, and can execute tests at an efficiency that’s higher than that of any manual tester.
- Broader Testing Coverage: Often, the app needs to be tested on multiple sets of devices across various makes and models so that the app can be tested comprehensively on the devices the customers use before releasing it. Testing manually on all devices within a short duration to ensure the timely release is impossible. Automation testing helps rapidly test on all kinds of devices in parallel and ensures the app is tested thoroughly before release.
- Better Returns: Automation testing is an excellent way to reduce operational costs incurred in the long run by eliminating or reducing additional resources- more on that covered in the next section.
Automation testing is an investment. The long hours allotted for manual testing could turn into minutes with automation in play. Configuration exercises sure demand many assets but go back to the ROIs provided above to help you assess and strategize your next move.
Start Automating your App Testing today. Talk to us and book a free demo with our expert.
Do you want to learn more about automated testing? Read this blog post for more information.